Thursday, August 27, 2026

 


Northeast Delta Dental Mount Washington Road Race

     12th series – race 5 of 5 

 Saturday, June 27, 2026 – Pinkham Notch, NH



Congratulations to; Jeff, Freddi, Jackie, Ross, Darrel, Brian, Ed, Alissa, Donna & Trista for becoming Mountain Goats and earning a lottery by-pass into the 2027 Northeast Delta Dental Mount Washington Road Race!!! 😊


A big shout out to winners Meikael Rousseau  & Amber Ferreira 😊


Meikael running very well above treeline.


Meikael runs under an hour winning this years race!


Amber with her signature smile on course

Love that winning smile!




Well, we had quite a day and very lucky it was moved a week later than usual as the Saturday before, June 20th, the usual race date, was reported as follows…

“There was rainfall on the summit on June 20, 2026, totaling 1.28 inches of precipitation over the course of the day.

Rainfall & Moisture Details

  • During the Morning (9:00 AM – 11:00 AM): While a portion of that 1.28-inch total fell as direct rain showers, the heavy moisture was primarily driven by dense, liquid-heavy freezing fog and total cloud immersion.
  • The "Driving" Rain Effect: Due to the sustained 40–41 mph winds, the heavy fog and rain droplets were blown horizontally, creating highly saturated, wet, and freezing conditions across the entire summit area.”

As it turned out we were blessed with a great weather day! This allowed for undeterred access to the Sherman Adams Building on the summit and unlimited views…thank you, thank you, thank you!!! 😊 What could be done to increase the legal occupancy capacity? Would another entry/exit do it? If so, here’s hoping that CAN be done.

Somehow, I managed to win my new age group 80-84…all depends who shows up, as we all know quite well.

It was very disappointing that only the first finisher in each age group was awarded a lottery by-pass, not the usual top 3!

On top of that, NO usual “award” or recognition was given to individuals or teams!!! I had offered the powers that be my donation of $100 toward the costs, didn’t help Sooo…I had my participation metal made into one 😊


Another VERY unfortunate item was after entering, another runner pointed out, we would have to pay an ADDITIONAL amount for a ride down!

We are all very fortunate to have the Raffio’s, Tom & Ellen, as fellow runners and major sponsors of the race! We can count on them to support US and this long time, very historic, unique event!!! 😊

 

 

Donna did a great write-up about her race that she has agreed to share 😊

“2026 Mt. Washington Road Race Reflections

Each year (since 1997), I have run the Mt. Washington Road Race. “’It’s between me and the mountain” (Jacqueline Garreau). That has been how I approach EACH mountain race that I do. (Thank you, Jackie!) With that mind set, I approach each race with three goals.

While I cannot control what the mountain has in store for me on race day, I can control how I respond. What will I bring to this day?

This year (2026), I set my three goals: feel strong and smooth throughout the entire race; time closer to 1:45 than 2:00 (not met); top 3 in my age group/win 60 (met), and win the female 60+ age group team (met).

The mountain did her part … perfect temps., light winds, 11% ave. grade, 22% grade headwall. My process and time goals were in check until mile 5 (of 7.6). At that point, despite hydrating with Perptuem and using S-caps, I felt a cramp in my right quad (vastus medialis). Good news! I have experience with this!! I know that I must walk a bit to mitigate the cramp, as well as consume more fluid and take another electrolyte capsule. OK, I usually do not walk in this race, but cramping helped me face reality! By mile 6 the cramp had pretty much subsided, and I was able to run almost as usual. Once I got to the headwall, I passed two women (and others) “like it was my job.”

It has taken me over a month to face the reality of my race. Yes, it was between me and the mountain. While I did not meet two of my three goals, I did place 3rd in my age-group, and my 60+ female team was victorious (once again, thanks to my CSU teammates, Suzy West and Jackie Shakar).

As I consider this race, I can honestly say that I am most grateful for the opportunity to “toe the line.” While not one of my stated goals, I am also grateful for “rubbing shoulders” with my mountain goat friends, especially my best friend and husband (for whom this was his 50th Mt. Washington Road Race, 48th consecutive) Fred Ross III. Long may we run, uphill!”

 

WHAT WILL NEXT YEARS EVENT PRESENT!?!?!? Stay tuned…



The race pictures will follow the stat’s. Thanks to; Freddi & Brian, Dawn Roberts, Jamie Doucett, Judy Tasker, Jen Tourville and a very special thank you to Joe Vigor, for his great pictures!  Below is the link to Joe’s pictures which are available to purchase 😊

                         Joe Viger Photography


Points for NEDDMWRR: (437 finishers)

           1)        Meikael Rousseau  26M      59:51   100.00

      15)     Amber Ferreira     44F    1:13:52     81.02

      77)     Jeff Gould              61M   1:41:59     58.69

      124)   Ross Minkov         53M   1:51:25     53.72

      125)   Alissa Clark            52F    1:51:44     53.57

      149)   Jackie Shakar        66F     1:55:41     51.74  2nd 65-69

      160)   Donna Smyth        66F     1:56:25     51.41  3rd 65-69

      184)   Freddi Triback        54F     2:00:25    49.70

      208)   Brian Walfield       64M    2:04:21    48.13

      215)   Trista Brown           55F    2:05:07     47.84

      312)   Darrel Lasell           68M   2:22:05    42.12

      322)   Fred Ross III           80M   2:24:06     41.53  1st 80-84

      357)   Elaine Dill                77F   2:35:20      38.53  3rd 75-79

      387)   Mary Sharkey         76F    2:45:16      36.21

      409)   Ed Varney               67M   3:00:40      33.13


    Points and standings after Washington:

1)                   Jeff            403.80 (6)      Mtn Goat 😊

2)                   Freddi       358.52 (6)      Mtn Goat 😊

3)                   Jackie        314.42 (5)      Mtn Goat 😊

4)                   Ross           304.27 (5)      Mtn Goat 😊

5)                   Darrel        301.28 (6)      Mtn Goat 😊

6)                   Brian          279.92 (5)      Mtn Goat 😊

7)                   Ed               248.97 (6)      Mtn Goat 😊

8)                   Alissa         248.24 (4)      Mtn Goat 😊

9)                   Donna        243.99 (4)      Mtn Goat 😊

10)                             Trista         219.38 (4)      Mtn Goat 😊

11)                             Kevin         157.30 (2)

12)                             Doug         146.19 (3)

13)                             Elaine        145.95 (3)

14)                             Fred           141.27 (3)

15)                             Linda         133.97 (3)

16)                             Mary           81.06 (2)


Current streak:

         1)      Darrel                          41

         2)      Ed                                 30

         3)      Jeff                                28

         4)      Freddi                             8

         5)      Jackie & Trista               3

         6)      Donna, Brian & Fred     2

         7)      Elaine, Mary & Alissa    1


     Total all time series points:

1)      Jeff                3579.14  

2)      Donna          2990.69

3)      Fred              2968.56

4)      Darrel           24.59.49

5)      Kevin             2285.62

6)      Jackie            2003.32

7)      Freddi           1775.60

8)      Brian             1625.46

9)      Ed                  1570.67

10)                 Elaine        757.77

11)                 Trista         616.42

12)                 Ross          548.41

13)                 Alissa        497.70

14)                 Doug         453.32

15)                 Mary         446.77

16)                 Linda         441.10


Total points for previous members:

      Walter Kuklinski        1521.98

      Sau-Mei Leugh           1488.40

      Bob Mulvaney            1286.11

      Josh Curtis                   1198.46

      Mark Staples                1064.11

      Rich Larsen                   1020.15

      Don Slovenkai                866.83

      Robin Varney                  833.70

      Len Hall                            791.04

      Dennis Gilyard                762.25

      Cris Cote                           758.47

      Laurel Shortell                  678.77

      Paulette Slovenkai           631.67

      Tammy Richards                584.42

      Jim Hoburg                         515.15

      Meg (Paugh) Dillingham   492.66

      Karen Encarncion               456.08

     Peggy Hoburg                       216.86

     Emer O'Donohue                 216.25

      John Kowalski                      190.97

      Rose Long                             165.68

      Stacy Dutch                          163.97

     Ellen Raffio                            149.72

      Michelle Ladonna                141.87

      Paul Jones                             128.06

      Dick Hoch                              121.67

      Candace Cox                         115.56

      Jill Larsen                               110.17

      Carol Buzby                           108.02

      Carrie Mock                           106.93

      Barry Follett                              53.00



Now for pictures of our memorable day 😊








































































































Photo bombers :)







John Stifler and I awarding Laurel Shortell her Mountain Goat certificate after the end of the very 1st series after the 2014 Mount Washington Road Race. If it were not for Laurel, there would not still be a series! Her enthusiasm and dedication kept me going...thank you Laurel! Hope to see you @ this Sundays Race to the Top of Vermont!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment